Irving Shipbuilding Centre of Excellence Sponsor-a-Student Opportunity
Open to full-time and part-time students enrolled in their final year of eligible programs at Akerley, IT, Ivany or eCampus (HRM residents only) campuses.
Eligible programs include:
- Business Administration
- Human Resource Management
- Industrial Engineering Technology
- Library and Information Technology
- Occupational Health and Safety
Application assessment will consider
- Commitment and interest in program and future career
- Good academic standing
- Self-identification: Open to students from any equity-deserving group.
- 50% ($2,000) of the funding will be issued upon selection
- The remaining 50% ($2,000) will be issued upon successful completion of a 5 week work term
Work integrated learning and/or post graduate work requirements
- Recipients must complete a 5 week work term. The terms and compensation for this work experience will be coordinated between the Sponsor and the recipient.
About the sponsor
Irving Shipbuilding Centre of Excellence (CoE) at NSCC is excited to sponsor 11 students from historically underrepresented communities to continuously advance its commitment to support NSCC students and grow a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is the CoE’s honour to offer this award in support of diverse students continuing their studies in one of the defined programs and an opportunity for a 5-week work placement as part of their program requirement.
About Irving Shipbuilding: Irving Shipbuilding is Canada’s National Shipbuilder, selected in 2011 to build the new fleet of combat vessels to the Royal Canadian Navy. To date, four Arctic and Offshore Patrol ships (AOPS) have been delivered and a further two are underway. The company will also build two custom AOPS for the Canadian Coast Guard before commencing the larger Canadian Surface Combatant (CSC) Fleet. To date over $6.6 billion in investments have been made across Canada as part of the National Shipbuilding Strategy. Our team of 2,300+ shipbuilders are proudly based in Halifax, NS and includes the largest team of apprentices in Atlantic Canada. www.shipsforcanada.ca
About the Centre of Excellence: The Irving Shipbuilding Centre of Excellence (CoE) project at NSCC was established to support the growth and development of the skills needed by the workforce in the shipbuilding and marine sectors. The project supports programming that include Pathways to shipbuilding, Techsploration, student bursaries and other related programming to provide equitable access to opportunities for underrepresented communities.